Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Poem: Flying Through the Sky

Written by Maya

Laying on the grass gazing out at the stars
So far away, yet close enough to tickle them with my fingertips
They are the mystery of the world, the only thing we dare not disturb
But I feel connected, as if an invisible link is pulling me closer to them
I share with them my secrets, my thoughts, gushing out like a bubbly fountain
Reaching my hand out, bringing one down so close to me
Holding her to my heart she becomes part of me
And suddenly I am flying high, high above the ground, the star, my star, guiding me up
Her voice echos in my head as I breath out in wonder
“Welcome home, my beloved sister”
And I am home, among the stars as I was always meant to be
I feel their cool touch calming me as I am slowly transformed
Smaller and smaller until I am one of them, glowing brightly against the dark sky
I close my eyes, their awesome presence reassuring me
And then all at once I am shooting across the horizon like a magnificent phoenix in flight
The wind in my face as my trail stains the midnight sky
Falling down into the depths of space
But then I hear a voice call my name
Not one of my star sisters, but one of the others
Persistently saying my name over and over again until I open my eyes
I am surprised at what I see
Not the stars whizzing past me, but the stars in the sky endless miles away
As I come to my senses I realize I am no longer flying through the sky, but lying on the wet grass
Looking up at myself shooting across the sky up towards the moon, then down towards the horizon
Once again I am home

No comments:

Post a Comment